REALNETWORKS, INC., AND AFFILIATED ENTITIES
This document was last updated 26 May 2015.
Details regarding specific topics may be found via the topic index.
WHY DO WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION?
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
- Personal information specifically identifies an individual and may include: name; email address; credit card information; mailing address; and phone number.
- RealNetworks does not intentionally collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
RealNetworks uses your personal information to:
- Deliver to you and bill you for RealNetworks products and services, and communicate with you concerning your account and customer service issues;
- Verify access rights to premium content or other access-restricted services and software;
- Ask you to participate in surveys;
- Offer you product upgrades, content, services and games;
- Auto-update downloaded products; and
- Provide you with news, updates, targeted advertising, promotions, and special offers.
WHAT NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
We collect non-personal information that does not permit direct association with any specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-personal information for any purpose. The following are examples of non-personal information that we may collect:
- Information about your computer, hardware, software, platform, device, Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- Geo-location information associated with a photograph or video, solely to enable the location grouping feature in RealTimes;
- Language preference;
HOW DO WE USE YOUR NON-PERSONAL INFORMATION?
- Improve our software and services by providing content recommendations, language and location customization, targeted advertising and/or personalized help and instructions.
- Determine if you meet the minimum system requirements to use our products, and provide information concerning compatibility and interoperability;
- Track content use for the purpose of paying royalties and license fees to third party providers;
- Better understand how our products are used.
We also may share or disclose your personal information or the content of files you upload using RealNetworks’ products or services to comply with the law or respond to legal process or lawful requests, including from law enforcement and government agencies.
THIRD PARTY ADVERTISING – GENERAL
We allow third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our websites or interact with our products or services. These companies use non-personal information about your visits in order to provide advertisements of interest to you.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g. click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information.
HOW DO WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION SECURE?
RealNetworks is committed to protecting your personal information. We use the following controls to protect your personal information:
- Use of secure connections using SSL to safeguard information when transmitted from your Web browser to RealNetworks;
- Use of security controls to restrict access to databases housing personally identifying information;
- Use of encryption for sensitive personal information, such as credit card numbers and user names;
- Limited employee access to databases containing personal information and confidentiality requirements imposed upon employees who do; and
- Subcontractors bound by contractual, technical and organizational measures.
PRIVACY ON SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES
WHEN AND HOW DO WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES?
RealNetworks may disclose relevant information about our customers to our contractors in order for them to provide specific services for RealNetworks. RealNetworks contractors are bound to keep all personal information they process confidential.
RealNetworks may disclose your personal information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to the edicts of the law; (b) comply with the order of a competent judicial authority in any jurisdiction; (c) comply with legal process served on RealNetworks; (d) protect and defend the rights or property of RealNetworks; or (e) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of RealNetworks products or the public at large.
E-MAIL FROM REALNETWORKS
Separate RealNetworks products, services and lines of business may send separate newsletters and marketing emails to you. You may opt out of receiving RealNetworks marketing messages. If you create an online account with RealNetworks, you can change your account setting to select whether you wish to receive marketing messages. However, we may continue to send you e-mail about products or services you have previously purchased or to inform you about critical technical service issues relating to a RealNetworks product or service.
HOW TO ACCESS AND UPDATE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
To access your account information and preferences, select “Manage My Account” from the menus in the RealPlayer (usually under the “Help” menu) or other RealNetworks consumer software. Sign in to your account and modify your information and preferences as needed.
If you created an account with RealNetworks, you may review and update your account on the web at www.real.com or by selecting “My Account” in your RealNetworks product, and logging in using your name and password. If you have forgotten your username or password, you can use our online help resources or contact us by clicking here.
TRANSFER OF DATA TO OTHER COUNTRIES
RealNetworks processes information about our users on servers located in a number of countries. We may also subcontract processing or share your information to third parties located in countries other than your home country. Information collected by RealNetworks in the United States may, for example, be transferred to and processed in a country outside of the United States. Information collected within the European Economic Area and Switzerland may, for example, be transferred to, and processed in a country outside of the European Economic Area and Switzerland. You expressly consent to the foregoing.
RealNetworks complies with the U.S.-EU and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Frameworks and has certified its personal information practices with the U.S. Department of Commerce under the Safe Harbor Program to ensure that your personal information is protected adequately in the event that your data is processed for the purposes of your agreement with us by a RealNetworks company in the United States. Should you want more information on the Safe Harbor principles, please go to: http://www.export.gov/safeharbor.
If we require a RealNetworks company to process your data for the purposes of payment for goods and services this RealNetworks company will be RealNetworks, Inc., E Commerce LL; P.O. Box 91123, Seattle, Washington 98111-9223. The following data may be turned over to this company solely for the purpose of processing the payment transaction: your name, bank account, and amount to be charged. You have a right of access and rectification with regard to such data; to exercise these rights, or for other data privacy questions, please refer to the section “Contact Us About Privacy,” below.
If you are a European resident and your data privacy complaint was not satisfactorily addressed by RealNetworks, you may contact the data protection authorities in the relevant jurisdiction. A list of data protection authorities is available at: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm
RealNetworks has agreed to participate in the dispute resolution procedures of the panel established by the European Union data protection authorities to resolve disputes pursuant to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles, as well as to cooperate and comply with the Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner of Switzerland.
NO ERROR FREE PERFORMANCE
CONTACT US ABOUT PRIVACY
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our products or services, the information concerning you that RealNetworks has retained, or would like to make a complaint, please contact:
P.O. Box 91123
Seattle, WA 98111-9233
Or click here.
For more information concerning specific functionality that may be relevant to privacy issues, visit our Specific Topic Index.
© 2015 RealNetworks, Inc.